Undergraduate Students

First-Year Applicants

Use the undergraduate admissions application to apply as a first-year student if you have never attended college as a matriculated (degree-seeking) student. A first-year applicant may be a current high school student or an adult who has taken 12 or fewer college credits.

Transfer Applicants

Use the undergraduate admissions application to apply as a transfer student if you have already graduated from high school and will have earned at least 12 college credits before your expected start at Rutgers–Camden.

Graduate Students

Ph.D. Students

Students interested in a Ph.D. should apply to the Ph.D. program in the Center for Computational and Integrative Biology (CCIB), specifying the Chemistry faculty member, laboratory or research that is of interest to them in their personal statement. See “Our Research” page for specifics regarding our areas of specialty. See the “FAQs” for a list of faculty members affiliated with the CCIB Ph.D. program.

M.S. Students

Admission to the Graduate Program in Chemistry is based on evaluation of scholastic record, letters of recommendation, and performance on the Graduate Record Examinations.

M.S. Application Deadline and Program Schedule

Fall Application Deadline: August 15
Spring Application: December 31 of the previous calendar year

Priority for admission, scholarships, assistantships and awards is given to applicants who submit a completed application by March 1 (Fall admission) or December 1 (Spring admission). Completed applications received on or after these dates are considered as they are received. Check off the box on the online program application that states that you would like to be considered for financial awards. No separate application is needed. 

M.S. Admission Requirements and Application Steps

To be eligible for admission to the M.S. Chemistry program, individuals must:

  • Possess a Baccalaureate Degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field from an accredited university
  • Submit one official transcript from each post-secondary school attended
  • Submit a Personal Statement and C.V. summarizing academic and professional achievements
  • Submit GRE scores. Institution code 2790. GRE scores are not required for B.S./B.A. Chemistry students graduating from Rutgers-Camden.
  • Three letters of recommendation from university faculty members who know the student well or from research/laboratory supervisors/investigators
    • At least two of the letters should be from faculty
  • Pay the application fee

Non-matriculating Graduate Students

Students may take graduate classes in chemistry as a non-matriculating student. To apply to take classes use the Graduate Admissions Application and choose non-degree application. Students wishing to change their status from non-degree to degree status must inform the Graduate Program Director and fill out the Change of Status Form. NOTE: There is a maximum number of credits that can be transferred from non-matriculated to matriculated. Please see the following page for details.

International Applicants

The Department of Chemistry welcomes applications from qualified international students. International students must submit additional documentation.

As part the admissions process, international applicants must include with their application:

  • Official results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
    • TOEFL: The minimum internet-based TOEFL score is 79. Rutgers TOEFL code: 2765

International applicants apply for a visa after they have been admitted and accept Rutgers-Camden’s offer of admission.

Non-Matriculating Undergraduates & Other Students

The Department of Chemistry invites students of all educational experiences to apply to our department. We accept applications from Non-Matriculating students, former Rutgers students who would like to re-enroll and current Rutgers students interested in changing schools. Visit Rutgers–Camden Admissions and look for the application option for Non-Matriculating students.